CLONGILL, a parish, in the barony of MORGALLION, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 5 miles (N. W.) from Navan, on the road from Kells to Drogheda, contain 260 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2225 statute acres, of which 1667 are applotted under the tithe act. The farms are in general large, and several are occupied by the proprietors: the lands are principally in pasture and of very excellent quality, and grazing is carried on extensively. A stream called the Yellow river intersects the parish near Arch Hall, the seat of J. Paine Garnett, Esq., a handsome mansion pleasantly situated in a well-wooded demesne, comprising about 350 statute acres. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and is part of the union of Kilshine: the tithes amount to £100. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of £400 and a loan of £350 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1811: there are four glebes, comprising together 21 acres. In the R.C. divisions the parish is part of the union or district of Castletown-Kilpatrick; the chapel is at Fletcherstown. The parochial school, in which are about 20 boys and 20 girls, is supported by subscription. Here is an ancient castle in a tolerably good state of preservation.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clongill from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.