Clongesh or Cloongish, Longford
CLONGESH, or CLOONGISH, a parish, in the barony and county of LONGFORD, and province of LEINSTER; containing, with the post-town of Newtown-Forbes, 6736 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Longford to Carrick-on-Shannon, and on the rivers Camlin and Shannon; it contains 9616 statute acres, of which about 900 are woodland, 6800 arable and pasture, and the remainder waste and bog. Limestone quarries are worked for building and burning. A court for the manor of Castle-Forbes is held occasionally; and petty sessions are held at Newtown-Forbes every alternate Tuesday. The principal seats in the parish are Castle-Forbes, the residence of the Earl of Granard; Brianstown, of Thomas Gordon Auchmuty, Esq., representative of that Ilk, in Fife, North Britain; Lismoy, of the Rev. J. Mitchell; Lisbrack Cottage, of Verschoyle Crawford, Esq.; Monalagan Cottage of Dr. Forbes Crawford; and Hermitage, of T. H. Ellis, Esq. Castle-Forbes was besieged by the Irish troops for some weeks, in the parliamentary war of 1641, and its defenders were obliged to capitulate for want of supplies.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardagh, united to part of the vicarage of Killoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £461. 10. 9. The glebe. house was built in 1810, by aid of a gift of £100, and a loan of £650, from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises 50 acres, and is contiguous to the church. The church, situated at Newtown-Forbes, is supposed to have been originally built by the British settlers, about 1694; it has been rebuilt by aid of a gift of £830 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1829. There is also a church on St. Ann's Hill, in that part of Killoe which is united with this parish. The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: the chapel is at Newtown-Forbes, where there is also a place of worship for Methodists. At Lisnabo is a free school for both sexes, founded and endowed by the Rev. J. Mitchell, of Lismoy, who has charged his estate with an annuity of £50 for its support; the school-house is an excellent slated building, with apartments for the master and mistress, and cost £700. A school is aided by the rector and diocesan fund, and there are four pay schools: in these about 600 children are educated. There are a few Danish raths, and the ruins of two churches. Part of the parish is called the Scots' Quarter, a Scottish colony having settled here in the beginning of the reign of Jas. I.-See NEWTOWN-FORBES.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clongesh or Cloongish from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Clongesh or Cloongish)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Longford is available to browse.