UK Genealogy Archives logo

Clonegal, Carlow

Historical Description

CLONEGAL, a post-town, in that part of the parish of MOYACOMB which is in the barony of ST. MULLINS NORTH, county of CARLOW, and province of LEINSTER, 14¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Carlow, and 58½ (S. S. W.) from Dublin; containing 446 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Tullow to Newtownbarry, and on the river Derry, which divides it into two parts, and in 1831 comprised 76 houses. Fairs are held on July 31st, Nov. 12th and 22nd, and the first Wednesday in and the 11th of December, for cattle: fairs for the sale of frieze were formerly held on the first Wednesdays in February, March, and May, and on Ascension-day, but have been discontinued. Here is a constabulary police station. The parish church, a good modern building, is situated in the town; and there are a R.C. chapel, a place of worship for Methodists, and a handsome school-house in connection with the National Board, lately built. Here is also a castellated mansion built by the family of Esmonde, in 1625.-See MOYACOMB.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the National Library of Ireland, have the following Catholic parish records online for Clonegal:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1833-1880 1871-1880 

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Clonegal from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Carlow is available to browse.