Cloneameary of Clowen, Kilkenny
CLONEAMERY, or CLOWEN, a parish, in the barony of IDA, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (S. E.) from Innistiogue; containing 777 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the left bank of the river Nore, and on the mail coach road from Dublin to New Ross, by way of Thomastown, comprises 3277 statute acres, of which 170 are woodland, 648 mountain and waste, 129 bog, and the remainder arable and pasture land. It is a rectory and vicarage; in the diocese of Ossory, forming the corps of the prebend of Cloneamery in the cathedral of St. Canice, Kilkenny, and part of the union of Innistiogue, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £135. In the R.C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Innistiogue; the chapel is at Clediagh. Here is a private school, in which about 60 boys and 30 girls are educated. Bishop Pococke bequeathed 116 plantation acres of mountain land, called Bishop's Hill, and worth about £50 per annum, for the instruction of children, which is held by the Incorporated School Society. On a steep mound near the river stand the ruins of Clowen castle, belonging to the Fitzgeralds, and singularly divided into two parts. There are also some remains of an old church. In a romantic glen up a creek of the Nore is Clodagh waterfall; it is a cascade of great beauty falling down a rugged precipice of about 60 feet, and from the fissures of the overhanging rocks on both sides spring a great variety of trees and shrubs.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cloneameary of Clowen from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Cloneameary of Clowen)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.