Whitchurch, a parish in Devonshire, 1½ mile SE of Tavistock station on the G.W.R. and main line of the L. & S.W.R., with a post office under Tavistock; money order and telegraph office, Tavistock. It contains part of Horrabridge village. Acreage, 6206; population of the civil parish, 1144; of the ecclesiastical, 917. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. Holwell House, Grenofen, and Walreddon are chief residences. The surface includes romantic scenery, and Whitchurch Down commands a fine view with good golf links. There are several lead and tin mines in the district, but they have not been worked for I some years. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £197 with residence. The church is Later English, and was restored in 1878. There is a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whitchurch St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Tavistock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whitchurch from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whitchurch (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Whitchurch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.