UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Clonarney, Westmeath

Historical Description

CLONARNEY, a parish, in the barony of DELVIN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 1 mile (N. by W.) from Castletown-Delvin, on the road to Crossakeel; containing 848 inhabitants. This parish comprises 2168 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is principally arable and pasture, with about 50 acres of waste or bog; here is abundance of limestone. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, and is part of the union of Castletown-Delvin : the tithes amount to £92. 6. 1¾. per ann. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Clonmellon. Here is a hedge school, in which 23 boys and 18 girls are educated. There are some remains of the old church, with a cemetery attached.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Clonarney from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmeath is available to browse.

Advertisement

Advertisement