CLONALVEY, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 8 miles (S.) from Drogheda, on the road from Naul to Navan; containing 1055 inhabitants. It comprises 4928 statute acres, of which 1661 are applotted under the tithe act: the land is in a high state of cultivation, being almost equally divided between arable and pasture, Part of the bog of Garristown is in this parish, but has been reclaimed; and there is a very good quarry of flag-stones near the ruins of the church. About 50 cotton-looms are employed by the Dublin and Drogheda manufacturers, It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and is part of the union of Julianstown; the rectory is impropriate in the Rev. Mr. Beaufort. The tithes amount to £155, of which £100 is payable to the impropriator, and £55 to the vicar. There is a glebe of 20 acres, valued at £48. 15. 10½. In the R.C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Ardcath; the chapel is a neat modern building. There is a national school, aided by £5 per ann., from the parish priest, in which 50 boys and 30 girls are taught. There are some remains of the old church, also of a large rath at Grange.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.