CLAUDY, a village, in the parish of URNEY, barony of STRABANE, county of TYRONE, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (S. S. W.) from Strabane; containing 176 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Londonderry to Sligo, and on the river Finn, comprising one irregularly built street containing 44 houses, most of which are old. Fairs for the sale of cattle, sheep, and pigs, are held on Aug. 1st and Nov. 16th. Close to the village is a handsome bridge of seven arches over the Finn, connecting Claudy with the county of Donegal. Prior to the erection of this bridge, there was an important ford here, which was contested with great slaughter by the partisans of William and James, in 1688; and at the time of the siege of Londonderry it was a strong post under Col. Skeffington, who was driven from it by the Duke of Berwick, a short time before Jas. II, crossed the Finn at this place.-See URNEY.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Claudy from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Tyrone is available to browse.