CHURCHTOWN, a district parish, in the barony of FORTH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (S. W.) from Broadway; containing 1429 inhabitants. It is situated on the Lough of Tacumshane, and was constituted an ecclesiastical district, comprising the parishes of Ballymore and Tacumshane, in 1834. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Ferns, and in the patronage of the Chancellor of the diocese for the first three turns, after which the right of presentation will vest in the Bishop. The tithes of five townlands comprising 693 statute acres, amounting to £70. 10. 1½., and a glebe of more than four statute acres were allotted for the support of the curate. The church, a neat building, was finished in 1835, at an expense of £800, granted by the late Board of First Fruits. In the R.C. divisions it is partly in the district of Maglass, aud partly in that of Lady's Island, in which respectively are the chapels of Ballymore and Tacumshane. A parochial school has been established under the superintendence of the perpetual curate. The only remains of antiquity are the ruins of the old parish church of Tacumshane.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Churchtown from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.