CASTLETOWN-KILPATRICK, a parish, in the barony of MORGALLION, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Nobber; containing 1211 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the roads from Slane to Nobber, and from Kells to Ardee, and contains 3895 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The land is of very good quality; about three-fourths are in pasture, and there is no bog. The principal seats are Rathhood, the residence of R. Cruise, Esq.; Stephenstown, of H. Owens, Esq., Headstown, of Lieut.Col. Gerrard; and Legga, of A. Kieran, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, united by act of council to the rectories of Knock and Drakestown, and in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Bishop: the tithes of the parish amount to £278. 1. 2.; and the gross value of the benefice, including tithe and glebe, is £690. 8. 7. The church is a neat edifice, with a tower, and was rebuilt in 1828, at an expense of £467. 12. 4. The glebe-house, which is close to the church, was erected in 1824, by aid of a loan of £1107. 13. 10. from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe comprises 43 plantation acres, valued at £119. 18. 10. per annum; and there are also a glebe in Knock of 3½ acres, and one in Drakestown of 4 acres, together valued at £36 per annum. In the R.C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parishes of Knock, Drakestown, Kilshine, and Clongill, and containing two chapels, one at Castletown and the other at Fletcherstown. There is a school at Castletown-Cross, aided by the incumbent, in which are about 6 boys and 3 girls.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castletown-Kilpatrick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Castletown-Kilpatrick)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.