CASTLETOWN-CONYERS, a parish, in the barony of UPPER CONNELLO EAST, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (S.) from Ballingarry; the population is returned with the union or parish of Corcomohide. This place, called anciently Kilmoodan, took the name of Castletown-Mac-Eineiry from a castle erected here, in 1349, by a chieftain of that name, who possessed a large extent of territory in this part of the country, which was forfeited by the adherence of his descendant to the cause of Jas. II., and granted by Wm. III. to Capt. George Conyers, from which it derives its present appellation. Archdall notices an abbey of great splendour and extent, founded here by the Mac Eineiry family; but nothing further is recorded of its history, nor are there any remains of it. The parish is situated on the road from Rathkeale to Charleville, and comprises 10,086 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; about one-eighth of the land is under tillage, producing good crops; the remainder is in demesnes, and in meadow and pasture land belonging to large dairy farms: there is a large tract of turbary, which is very valuable as fuel. The whole of the substratum is limestone, of which several very fine quarries are extensively worked. The surrounding country is highly improved, and abounds with interesting scenery and with numerous handsome seats, of which the principal within the parish are Castletown-Conyers, the residence of C. Conyers, Esq., Rossmore, of J. W. Shelton, Esq., Capanishane, of R. Mason, Esq.; Glenbrook, of M. Mason, Esq.; Fort Elizabeth, of E. Nash, Esq.; Ballyegran Cottage, of A. Odell, Esq.; Gortroe Cottage, of H. Hart, Esq.; and Drew's Court, the property of the Drew family, but at present unoccupied. Fairs are held on Feb. 11th, April 17th, Nov. 3rd, and Dec. 1st, chiefly for cattle, sheep, pigs, and pedlery.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Limerick, united to the vicarages of Kilmeedy and Drumcolloher, together forming the union of Corcomohide, in the patronage of the Vicars Choral of the cathedral church of St. Mary, Limerick, to whom the rectory is appropriate. The tithes are included in the gross amount for the union of Corcomohide. The church has been long in ruins, and there is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R.C. divisions this parish is the head of the union or district of Ballyegran, comprising also the parishes of Kilmeedy and Drumcollogher; the chapel, a large plain edifice, is situated in the village of Ballyegran, in this parish; and there is also a chapel in the parish of Kilmeedy. There is a dispensary in the village of Castletown-Conyers. The ruins of the old church are situated near the village; and there are some small fragments of the ancient castle, but they are inadequate to convey a distinct idea of the original extent or character of the buildings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castletown-Conyers from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Castletown-Conyers)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.