Castletown, Queens County
CASTLETOWN, a village, in the parish of OFFERLANE, barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 1¾ mile (S. by W.) from Mountrath; containing 367 inhabitants. This place takes its name from an ancient castle, occupying a commanding situation on the bank of the river Nore, and which, in the early part of the 16th century, was garrisoned by Sir Oliver Norris, son-in-law of the Earl of Ormonde, with a view to curb the power of the Fitzpatricks, to whom it was afterwards relinquished, and of whom Barnaby Fitzpatrick was, in 1541, created Baron of Upper Ossory. The village is pleasantly situated on the river Nore, and on the road from Dublin to Limerick; it contains 59 houses, and has an appearance of neatness and respectability. Near it is a large flour and oatmeal-mill. A fair is held on June 29th; and there were formerly fairs on May 2nd and Oct. 18th. A constabulary police force is stationed here, and petty sessions are held on alternate Mondays. There is a R.C. chapel in the village, also a national school built by the Ladies Fitzpatrick.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castletown from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.