West Ogwell, Devon
Ogwell, West, a parish in Devonshire, 3 miles SW of Newton Abbot station on the G.W.R. Post town, Newton Abbot. Acreage, 706; population, 39. West Ogwell House is the chief residence. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, and was annexed in 1868 to East Ogwell. The church is a neat edifice of nave and chancel, with a tower, and has a carved oak pulpit.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbott|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1681.
Church of England
dedication unknown (parish church)
The church (name not known) is a very small building of stone in the Perpendicular style, the interior length, including the belfry, being only 52 feet, and the breadth across the transepts 32 feet; it consists of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells, all apparently cast in 1633: there are three sedilia and an oaken pulpit: the screen, existing here at the beginning of the 20th century, has now disappeared: there are 80 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Ogwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ogwell, West)
Online maps of West Ogwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.