CASTLETOWN, a parish, in the barony of COONAGH, county of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 7¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Tipperary; containing 1055 inhabitants. This place derives its name from an ancient castle built by one of the O'Hurleys towards the close of the 14th century, and of which there are still some very interesting ruins. The parish is situated on the road from Doon to Tipperary, on the confines of the county, and comprises 6896 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The soil is tolerably fertile, and the land chiefly under tillage; there is an extensive tract of very valuable bog, which in some part lets at the high rate of 18s. per perch. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and is appropriate to the mensal of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £67. 2. 10. There is neither church nor chapel. In the R.C. divisions it is part of the union of Doon. A little to the south of the castle ruins are the remains of the old parish church, and not far distant are those of the small church of Templebuie.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castletown from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.