Castle-Jordan or Gungedah, Kings County
CASTLE-JORDAN, or GUNGEDAH, a parish, partly in the barony of UPPER MOYFENRAGH, county of MEATH, and partly in the barony of COOLESTOWN, but chiefly in that of WARRENSTOWN, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 3¼ miles (S.W.) from Kinnegad; containing 3967 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Trim to Philipstown, and on the river Boyne, which separates it from the county of Kildare. There is a very large extent of bog; and gritstone used for building is procured from some quarries in the parish. The gentlemen's seats are Kildangan, the residence of E. Haughton, Esq.; and Tubberdaly, of J. Downing Nesbitt, Esq. The living is an impropriate cure, in the diocese of Meath, united by diocesan authority to that of Ballyboggan; the rectory is wholly impropriate in the heirs of the late Sir Duke Gifford, to whom the tithes, amounting to £380, are payable. The annual income of the curate is £100 late currency, of which £30 is paid by the impropriators and £70 by the Trustees of Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The church, which is in the county of Meath, was built in 1826, at an expense of £664. 12. 1., defrayed by aid of a loan from the late Board of First Fruits. There is neither glebe-house nor glebe. In the R.C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, also called Boughilnebracnay, comprising Castle-Jordan and Ballyboggan, and containing two chapels. There are five private schools, in which about 190 children are educated. Here are the ruins of a castle, formerly occupied by the Giffords.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castle-Jordan or Gungedah from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Castle-Jordan or Gungedah)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for King's is available to browse.