UK Genealogy Archives logo

West Buckland, Devon

Historical Description

Buckland, West, a parish in Devonshire, 6 miles NW of South Molton, and 2 from Filleigh station on the G.W.R. It has a post office under South Molton; money order office, Filleigh; telegraph office, Filleigh railway station. Acreage, 2592; population of the civil parish, 402; of the ecclesiastical, 292. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £158 with residence. The church has been almost entirely rebuilt, retains the tower of a previous ancient cruciform church, is in the Decorated English style of the Transition period, and shows elaborate ornature in coloured marbles, polychromy, and gilt ironwork. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDevon 
Ecclesiastical parishWest Buckland St. Peter 
HundredBraunton 
Poor Law unionSouth Molton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1684.

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for West Buckland


Churches

Church of England

St. Peter (parish church)

The church of St. Peter is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower containing 6 bells: the east window is stained: in the church are memorials of William Butterfield, d. 1777, and his wife, d. 1771: in the early part of the nineteenth century this church possessed an ornate and interesting screen, but on the rebuilding of the church it was taken down and not replaced, and in 1880, its then remaining fragments were incorporated in the screen of Swymbridge church: the church, with the exception of the tower, was entirely rebuilt about 1860, and affords 200 sittings.

St. Peter, West Buckland


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for West Buckland from the following:


Maps

Online maps of West Buckland are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.

DistrictNorth Devon
CountyDevon
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtEX32
Post TownBarnstaple