CASTLEBRIDGE, a village, partly in the parish of TICKILLEN, partly in ARDCOLME, but chiefly in ARDCAVAN, barony of SHELMALIER, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 2½ miles (N.) from Wexford; containing 416 inhabitants. This place, which derives its name from the ancient castle that formerly stood here, is situated on the north side of Wexford harbour, at the confluence of the Castlebridge river with the river Sow, and on the road from Wexford to Oulart, at the junction of the parishes of Ardcavan, Ardcolme, and the detached part of Tickillen. It consists of a few neat dwellings on both sides of the Castlebridge river, and is chiefly remarkable for its extensive trade in corn, for which its situation, commanding the whole extent of county to the south of Arklow, and its proximity to Wexford, are peculiarly favourable. Nearly the whole produce of that district is, in order to avoid the tolls at Wexford bridge, deposited in this village, where are very extensive stores, mills, and malt-houses belonging to Mr. Patrick Breen, from which a canal was cut by his predecessor, in 1810, opening a communication with the river Slaney. The stores are capable of containing about 40,000 barrels of corn, and about 65,000 barrels are exported annually. It is sent by boats of 15 or 20 tons' burden to Wexford harbour, where it is shipped, without any extra charge, on board the vessels that convey it to the various channel ports between Glasgow and London. About 3000 barrels of malt are also made here annually. Fairs have been long held on April 11th and Dec. 26th, and two others have been lately established and are held on June 10th and Sept. 25th. A constabulary police force is stationed here. The parish church of Ardcolme, built on the site of the ancient castle, is in that part of the village which is in the parish of Ardcavan, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £310. 18. 6. for its repair. The R.C. chapel for the union or district of Castlebridge, which includes the parishes of Ardcavan, Ardcolme, St. Margaret, St. Nicholas, Skreen, and part of Killesk, is also in the village, where a residence is about to be built for the parish priest. A large school for children of both sexes is in course of erection by subscription; and a branch of the Skreen and Ardcolme dispensary has been established here.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castlebridge from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.