Castlebrack, Queens County
CASTLEBRACK, a parish, in the barony of TINNEHINCH, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (W.N.W.) from Portarlington; containing 1855 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the north-east angle of the county, where it joins King's county, and on the river Oweness, derives its name from the castle, now in ruins, which was built by the Dunne family. The seats are Kilcavan, that of the Rt. Rev. Dr. Sandes, Bishop of Killaloe, and Cappalaugh, of C. Bailey, Esq. Fairs are held on May 15th, Aug. 12th, and Nov. 15th. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kildare, and is part of the union of Rosinallis or Oregan; the rectory is impropriate in Gen. Dunne. The tithes amount to £210. 2. 6., of which £140. 1. 8. is payable to the impropriator and the remainder to the vicar. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the unions or districts of Mountmellick and Rosinallis; the chapel is at Clonabodoe, where there is a national school, in which are about 30 boys and 40 girls, and a hedge school, in which are about 30 boys and 20 girls.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Castlebrack from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.