Carrigparson or Willestown, Limerick
CARRIGPARSON, or WILLESTOWN, a parish, partly in the barony of CLANWILLIAM, county of LIMERICK, but chiefly in the county of the city of LIMERICK, and province of MUNSTER, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Limerick; containing 487 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Limerick to Cashel, and contains 828 statute acres, about one-half of which is in tillage, producing good crops of wheat, oats, and potatoes, and the other is mostly meadow. Basalt and limestone are found here, the former mostly in a state of decomposition; and between the north-western extremity of the parish and Cahirnarry is an extensive and valuable bog. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, and is part of the union of Cahirconlish: the tithes amount to £95. 15. 4½. There is neither church nor glebe-house, but a glebe of five acres near the remains of the old church. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the district or union of Ballybricken; the chapel is at Bohermora. There is a private school of 30 boys and 10 girls.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carrigparson or Willestown from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Carrigparson or Willestown)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Limerick is available to browse.