Carrigallen or Clincorick, Leitrim
CARRIGALLEN, or CLINCORICK, a parish, in the barony of CARRIGALLEN, county of LEITRIM, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) from Killesandra, on the road to Drumsna, containing 7809 inhabitants, of which number, 492 are in the village. The parish contains 15,000 statute acres, including a great quantity of bog: the cultivation, is principally by spade labour; limestone of the best kind is quarried at Newtown-Gore. The village comprises about 100 houses: it has a market for grain and provisions on Monday; and fairs are held on April 4th, May 7th, Aug. 9th, Oct. 8th, and the last Friday in Dec. Fairs are also held at Longfield on May 17th, Oct. 10th, and Dec. 29th. There is a penny post to Killesandra and Bullinamore; and a constabulary police force has been stationed here. Petty sessions are held every alternate Saturday, but the manor court has been discontinued since the institution of the assistant barrister's court. The principal seats are Killigar, the residence of John Godley, Esq., situated in a richly wooded demesne, embellished with three fine sheets of water; Drumsilla, of Acheson O'Brien, Esq.; and Cloncorrick Castle, the property of Pierce Simpson, Esq., by purchase from Major W. Irwin. This castle was built by the O'Rourkes, and here resided John O'Rourke, son of Thady, the last of the family who lived in any degree of splendour, until, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, at a Court of Claims held at Carrigallen, he was deprived of his estate and declared illegitimate, on the evidence of Abbot Macaward. The castle has received such additions and alterations as scarcely to leave a feature of its original character. Woodford House, which is half a mile north of Newtown-Gore, is built on the ruins of another of the O'Rourkes' castles: the estate was formerly well wooded, and remarkable for its oaks, and there are still two fine walled gardens of considerable extent. It was a place of great splendour, and belonged to the ancestors of W. Ormsby Gore, Esq., of Porkington, Shropshire.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmore, and in the patronage of the Bishop, to whom the rectory is appropriate: the tithes amount to £450, of which £151. 1. 6. is payable to the bishop, and £298. 18. 6. to the incumbent., The church, a good building with a square tower, and in excellent repair, was erected in 1814, by aid of a loan of £1500 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £100, and a loan of £1350, from the same Board, in 1819: the glebe comprises 590 acres. There is also a church at Killigar, with a small parsonage-house adjoining, built and endowed by John Godley, Esq., at an expense of £1100. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains two chapels, one at Mullinadaragh, and the other, called the Lower Chapel, at Aughal: there is also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists at Newtown-Gore. At Drumshangour are two schools, aided by annual donations from Mr. and Mrs. Godley, who at their own expense support two at Killigar: there are also schools at Carrigallen, Newtown-Gore, Corglass, Corneagh, and Kievy. In these schools are educated 480 boys and 400 girls; and there are also three private schools, in which are about 100 boys and 60 girls, and two Sunday schools, one of which is supported by Mr. Godley.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carrigallen or Clincorick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Carrigallen or Clincorick)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Leitrim is available to browse.