West Anstey, Devon
Anstey, West, a parish in Devon, on the river Yeo, contiguous to East Anstey. Post town, Dulverton, under Tiverton. Acreage, 3010; population, 230. The surface is hilly. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £185. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Anstey St. Petrock|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Anstey from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Anstey, West (St. Petrock))
Online maps of West Anstey are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cYeo Mill
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.