UK Genealogy Archives logo

Carrick or Carrig, Wexford

Historical Description

CARRICK, or CARRIG, a parish, in the barony of BARGY, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 6 miles (S. S. W.) from Taghmon; containing 707 inhabitants. This place, which is situated near the southern coast, is also called St. Imock's, and by the country people Shamogues. It is only known as a parish in the civil divisions, having been long since ecclesiastically incorporated with the parish of Bannow, in the diocese of Ferns, and both united to the parish of Kilcavan. The village of Danescastle, from its proximity to the coast, is much frequented during the summer season for sea-bathing; and a car running through Taghmon to Wexford leaves this place three mornings in the week and returns in the afternoon. The parish comprises 2997 statute acres, as assessed to the county rate; the land is chiefly under tillage; and the system of agriculture has been greatly improved within the last few years. Limestone brought from Slade up the bay of Bannow is the principal manure. At Barrystown are vestiges of ancient lead mines, the ore of which is said to have contained a very large proportion of silver, whence probably they have been traditionally called silver mines. In the R. C. divisions this place forms part of the union or district of Ballymitty; the chapel, a neat edifice, is at Danescastle; and in the chapel-yard is a comfortable residence for the R. C. clergyman, adjoining which is a national school. At a short distance from the village of Dunescastle is a lofty square tower, the erection of which is attributed to the earliest of the Norman settlers; it has much of the gloomy character of that period.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Carrick or Carrig from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.