Carnlough or Carnallock, Antrim
CARNLOUGH, or CARNALLOCK, a maritime village, in the parish of ARDCLINIS, barony of LOWER GLENARM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 2¾ miles (N. by W.) from Glenarm; containing 213 inhabitants. This place, originally a small fishing village, is pleasantly and advantageously situated between the bays of Cushendall and Glenarm, and from the fineness of its strand is much frequented during the summer months for sea-bathing. It consists of 47 houses, and many elegant villas and sea-bathing lodges have been erected in the valley of Glencule, forming an interesting and highly ornamental feature in that secluded vale. The surrounding scenery possesses great natural beauty, and in some parts assumes a character of majestic grandeur. A very extensive deer park, forming part of the demesne of Glenarm castle, and some richly wooded tracts and thriving plantations add greatly to its beauty. The bay of Carnlough is small but very commodious; and a quay for shipping, erected at an expense of £1200 by the late P. Gibbons, Esq., will contribute greatly to promote the prosperity of the place. -See ARDCLINIS.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carnlough or Carnallock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Carnlough or Carnallock)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Antrim is available to browse.