UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Carne or Carna, Kildare

Historical Description

CARNE, or CARNA, a parish, in the barony of EAST OPHALY, county of KILDARE, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (S. E.) from Kildare; containing 550 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Athy to Newbridge, and is in the diocese of Kildare. The rectory is appropriate to the dean and chapter of Kildare, who possess 178 statute acres of land in the parish; and the vicarage forms the corps of the precentorship of that cathedral, in the patronage of the Bishop, but is at present sequestrated in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The tithes amount to £90, of which £81. 9. 6. are payable to the dean and chapter, and £8. 10. 6. to the precentor. There is no church or glebe-house, but a glebe of ten acres. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district called Sancroft, comprising the parishes of Carne, Ballysonan, Killrush, and Ballysax; the chapel at Sancroft is a large building, and there is a national school there in which about 40 boys and 30 girls are educated.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Carne or Carna from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kildare is available to browse.

Advertisement

Advertisement