Carn or Carndonagh, Donegal
CARN, or CARNDONAGH, a market and post-town, in the parish of DONAGH, barony of ENNISHOWEN, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 17 miles (N.) from Londonderry, and 135½ (N. N. W.) from Dublin; containing 618 inhabitants. This place, which is pleasantly situated on an eminence near the head of the bay of Straghbregagh, or Strabeagy, and on the road from Londonderry to Malin, consists of a small square and four good streets, and contains 198 houses, many of which are large and well built; a river runs through it, and another has its course a little to the north. The market is on Monday; and fairs are held on the 21st of Feb., May, Aug., and Nov. Here is a chief constabulary station, with barracks for the police; and it is the head of a coast-guard district, comprising also the stations of Dunree Fort, Dunalf Head, Malin Head, Port Redford, and Green Castle. In the vicinity are many excellent houses, the principal of which are, Tunalague, the residence of R. Cary, Esq., proprietor of the town; the glebe-house, of the Rev. G. Marshall; Fairview, of J. Magill, Esq.; and Bridge House, of M. Rankin, Esq. The parish church, near which is an ancient and curious stone cross, and the R. C. parochial chapel, a large and handsome edifice, erected in 1826, are situated in the town. There are also a meeting-house for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, male and female parochial schools, a large and handsome national school, and a dispensary. -See DONAGH.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carn or Carndonagh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Carn or Carndonagh)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Donegal is available to browse.