Werrington, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, adjacent to the river Tamar, 2 miles N of Launceston station on the G.W. R. It has a post office under Launceston; money order and telegraph office, Launceston. Acreage, 5305; population of the civil parish, 658; of the ecclesiastical, 635. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belonged to Tavistock Abbey, went at the dissolution to the Russells, and belongs now to the Duke of Bedford. Polapit Tamar and Werrington Park are both handsome residences standing in extensive grounds. Slate is quarried. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Truro; net value, £130 with residence. The church was built in 1743, and restored and enlarged in 1891. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Werrington St. Martin and St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Launceston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Werrington 1654-1812, Devonshire is available to browse online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Werrington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Werrington (St. Martin and St. Giles))
Online maps of Werrington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cDruxton
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.