Wembworthy, a parish, with a small village, in Devonshire, near Eggesford station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4 miles SSW of Chulmleigh. It has a post office, designated Wembworthy; telegraph office, Eggesford railway station. Acreage, 2439; population, 370. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Most of the land belongs to the Earl of Portsmouth. Eggesford House, the seat of the Earl, is a large and handsome mansion in the Elizabethan style. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £150 with residence. The church is a plain building of stone in the Gothic style, and has been restored. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wembworthy St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wembworthy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wembworthy (St. Michael))
Online maps of Wembworthy are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.