CAMOLIN, a post-town, in the parish of TOMB, barony of SCARAWALSH, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 20¾ miles (N.) from Wexford, and 53¾ (S.) from Dublin; containing 639 inhabitants. This place derives its name from a religious house founded, according to Alban Butler, by St. Molin, second Bishop of Ferns, who died in the 7th century, and of which there are still some remains on the Mountnorris estate. It is situated on the river Bann, on the mail coach road from Gorey to Wexford, and contains 112 houses. Immediately adjoining is Park View, the residence of H. Parke, Esq. A constabulary police force is stationed here; and fairs for cattle and pigs are held on Feb. 9th, April 4th, June 9th (which is the principal fair), Aug. 9th, Sept. 28th, and Nov. 9th. The parish church of Tomb, and the R. C. chapel of the district of Camolin, are situated in the village; and there is a dispensary. -See TOMB.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Camolin from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.