Camlin or Crumlin, Antrim
CAMLIN, or CRUMLIN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER MASSAREENE, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER; containing, with the post-town of Crumlin, 1274 inhabitants. This parish is situated on Lough Neagh, by which it is bounded on the west, and on the road from Antrim to Lurgan; it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 6417¼ statute acres, of which 5455 are applotted under the tithe act, and 708¼ form part of the lake. About three-fourths of the parish are good arable land, and the remainder is pasture. The system of agriculture is greatly improved, and the whole of the parish is in an excellent state of cultivation, and is well fenced, drained, and planted: wheat, which was scarcely raised in the district, has, since the establishment of large flour-mills at Crumlin, been extensively cultivated, and now forms the principal feature in its agriculture. Limestone is extensively quarried for agricultural and other purposes. The principal seats are Thistleborough, that of James Whittle, Esq.; Gobrana, of J. Whitla, Esq.; and Cherry Valley, of C. W. Armstrong, Esq. Independently of agricultural pursuits, several hundreds of the population are employed in weaving linens and cottons for the manufacturers of Belfast and its neighbourhood; here are also a flax and a flour-mill. Fairs are held monthly for cattle and pigs, and of late very valuable horses have been sold. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Connor, and is part of the union of Glenavy; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Hertford. The tithes amount to £195, of which £43. 5. is payable to the impropriator, and £151. 15. to the incumbent. The church is a fine ruin; it was destroyed by the army of Jas. II., who had its depÃ´t here in 1689: in the north and south walls are series of sepulchral arches continued the entire length of the building, and nearly in a perfect state. In the R. C. divisions also it forms part of the union or district of Glenavy. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Remonstrant Synod, of the second class. The parochial school is supported by the vicar; and a school is supported by the Hon. Col. Pakenham, who erected for it a large and handsome school-house, and occasionally provides clothing for the scholars. In these schools are about 90 boys and 60 girls; and there are also three pay schools, in which are about 60 boys and 50 girls, and three Sunday schools. Dr. William Crawford, author of "Remarks on Chesterfield's Letters," "History of Ireland," and other works; and Adam Crawford, Esq., M.D., author of an "Experimental Essay on Animal Heat," and compiler of the transactions of the Royal Society, were natives of Crumlin, which see.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Camlin or Crumlin from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Camlin or Crumlin)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Antrim is available to browse.