Wembury, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, on the coast, at the mouth of the river Yealm, 5 miles from Plympton station on the G.W.R. Acreage, 3134; population, 5 24. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. Wembury manor belonged formerly to Plympton priory, and belongs now to the Cory family. Langdon Court is the chief residence. The scenery of the coast is romantic and wild. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £280. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is a plain building of local stone in the Early English style, and contains memorials to the Calmady family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wembury St. Werburgh|
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wembury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wembury (St. Werburgh))
Online maps of Wembury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cDown Thomas
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.