Wellcombe, a parish in Devonshire, bordering the coast, 15 miles from Holsworthy station on the L. & S.W.R., and 17 WSW of Bideford. Post town, Stratton; money order office, Hartland; telegraph office, Kilkhampton. Acreage, 1787; population, 193. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £195, Patrons, Lord Clinton and the Crown alternately. The church is a small and ancient cruciform building of stone, and has been restored. Outside the churchyard gate is an ancient " holy well."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wellcombe St. Nictan|
|Poor Law union||Bideford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wellcombe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wellcombe (St. Nictan))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.