Wear Gifford, Devon
Wear Gifford, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, on the river Torridge, 4 miles S by E of Bideford station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Bideford; money order and telegraph office, Torrington. Acreage, 1705; population, 395. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged to the Giffords, passed to the Denzells, and with Wear Hall, an interesting ancient mansion, belongs now to Viscount Ebrington. There are some lime-kilns on the quay. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £150 with residence. Patron, Viscount Ebrington. The church is an edifice of stone in the Decorated style, with an embattled tower; contains some memorials to the Fortescue, Gifford, and Rolle families, and has been restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wear-Gifford Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Torrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wear Gifford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wear-Gifford (Holy Trinity))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.