Washford Pyne, Devon
Washford Pyne, a parish, with two hamlets, in Devonshire, 7 miles from Morchard Road station on the L. & S.W.R., and 8 N by W of Crediton. Post town, Morchard Bishop. Acreage, 1144; population, 141. There is a parish council of five members and a chairman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £130 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1883, and is an edifice of stone in the Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Washford-Pine St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Washford Pyne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Washford-Pine (St. Peter))
Online maps of Washford Pyne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.