Washfield, a parish in Devonshire, 2½ miles NNW of Tiverton station on the G.W.R., and contains a village of its own name. It has a post office under Tiverton; money order and telegraph office, Tiverton. Acreage, 3310; population, 355. There is a parish council of seven members and a chairman. Worth House, Easterlands, and Great and Little Beauchamp are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £260 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and contains some memorials to the Worth family. There is a beautiful rood screen of 1629 date, and a very interesting Norman font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Washfield St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Washfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Washfield (St. Mary))
Online maps of Washfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.