UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bundoran, Donegal

Historical Description

BUNDORAN, a village, in the parish of INNISMACSAINT, barony of TYRHUGH, county of DONEGAL, and province of ULSTER, 4 miles (S. W.) from Ballyshannon: the population is returned with the parish. This village, which consists of one street on the road from Ballyshannon to Sligo, is situated on Ballyshannon harbour, on the western coast, and on the confines of the county of Sligo: the coast is bold and rocky. It is a favourite place of resort for sea-bathing during the summer; several small but respectable houses have been built for the accommodation of visiters; and extensive hot and cold sea-water baths have been fitted up. There is a daily penny post to Ballyshannon and Sligo.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bundoran from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Donegal is available to browse.