BROWNSTOWN, a parish, in the barony of UPPER DULEEK, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Navan; containing 487 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Navan, through Ashbourne, to Dublin, and comprises 864 statute acres of arable and pasture land, with the exception of about 32 acres of waste and bog: the land is fertile and principally under tillage, and the system of agriculture is improving. There is a good limestone quarry; a valuable stratum of potters' clay has been discovered; and there are strong indications of the existence of copper ore, but no attempt to work it has hitherto been made. The only seat is Brownstown House, the property and formerly the residence of the Somerville family, and now being put into a state of repair. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Meath, entirely impropriate in Sir W. Meredyth Somerville, Bart.: the tithes amount to £73. There is no church or chapel, only an ancient burial-ground: the clerical duties of the parish are performed by the incumbent of the adjoining parishes forming the union of Kentstown. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Blacklion. There are two hedge schools, in which are about 34 boys and 24 girls.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brownstown from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Meath is available to browse.