UK Genealogy Archives logo

Broughshane, Antrim

Historical Description

BROUGHSHANE, a market and post-town, in the parish of RACAVAN, barony of LOWER ANTRIM, county of ANTRIM, and province of ULSTER, 28¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Belfast, and 109 miles (N.) from Dublin; containing 828 inhabitants. This town is pleasantly situated on the river Braid, at the termination of the mail coach road from Ballymena, to which it has a sub-post-office, and consists of one long street, containing about 180 houses indifferently built. In the neighbourhood are several gentlemen's seats; and at no great distance is Tullymore Lodge, finely situated on a stream tributary to the Braid. The market is on Tuesday, and is principally for butter and pork: fairs are held on June 17th and Sept. 3rd. A constabulary police force has been stationed here; and the manorial court of Buckna is held here every month, for the recovery of debts amounting to £20. The church of the union of Skerry, or the Braid, a neat edifice with a spire, is situated in the town; in which are also a place of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Ulster, and a dispensary. At Dumfure, in the vicinity, is a large mount of very imposing aspect.-See RACAVAN.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Broughshane from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Antrim is available to browse.