Walkhampton, a parish, with part of Horrabridge village, in Devonshire, half a mile from Dousland station on the G.W.R., and 5 miles SE of Tavistock. It has a post office under Horrabridge; money order and telegraph office, Horrabridge. Acreage, 10,011; population, of the civil parish, 606; of the ecclesiastical, 581. The manor and most of the land belong to the baronet family of Lopes. About 6600 acres are waste land in Dartmoor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £165 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style. In 1889 it was struck by lightning and considerably damaged, but it has since been restored. There are extensive granite quarries in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tavistock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Walkhampton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Walkhampton)
Online maps of Walkhampton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.