UK Genealogy Archives logo

Virginstow, Devon

Historical Description

Virginstow, a parish in Devonshire, 2 miles from Tower Hill station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6½ NNE of Launceston. Post town, Beaworthy; telegraph office, Ashwater. Acreage, 1293; population, 106. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; net value, £98 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1851, and there is a Free Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDevon 
Ecclesiastical parishVirginstow St. Bridget 
HundredLifton 
Poor Law unionHolsworthy 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Virginstow


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Virginstow from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Virginstow are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.

DistrictTorridge
CountyDevon
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtEX21
Post TownBeaworthy