Bow or Boa Island, Fermanagh
BOW, or BOA, ISLAND, partly in the parish of TEMPLECARNE, and partly in that of DRUM KEERAN, barony of LURG, county of FERMANAGH, and province of ULSTER, 2 miles (S.) from Pettigo; containing 382 inhabitants. This island, situated in the upper portion of the lower Lough Erne, comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 1342 statute acres, of which nearly 787 are in Drumkeeran, and the remainder in the parish of Templecarne. The land is good, and the island is divided into a number of small farms varying from two to forty acres. There is a fine quarry of freestone. In the townland of Caldragh is a burial-ground.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bow or Boa Island from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Bow or Boa Island)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Fermanagh is available to browse.