Upton Pyne, Devon
Upton Pyne, a parish in Devonshire, 1½ mile from Brampford Speke station on the G.W.R., and 3 miles N by W of Exeter. It has a post office under Exeter; money order office, Brampford Speke; telegraph office, Exeter. Acreage, 2446; population of the civil parish, 460; of the ecclesiastical, 367. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belonged anciently to the Pynes, and with Pynes House belongs now to the Earl of Iddesleigh. Manganese was for some time worked, but is now exhausted. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £380 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Iddesleigh. The church is ancient, has been thoroughly restored and enlarged, and contains numerous memorials of the Northcote family. There is a working men's club.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upton Pyne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Upton-Pyne)
Online maps of Upton Pyne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.