Bordwell, Queens County
BORDWELL, a parish, in the barony of UPPER OSSORY, QUEEN'S county, and province of LEINSTER, 2¾ miles (N. E.) from Rathdowney; containing 869 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Abbeyleix to Templemore, and comprises 2549 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, The state of agriculture is improving; there is a small quantity of bog; and limestone is quarried in the parish. The principal seats are Grantstown, the residence of R. Vicars, Esq.; Coolfin, of T. Roe, Esq.; Kilbredy, of J. Drought, Esq.; and Fernville, of H. Palmer, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £137. 10. Divine service is performed in the school house. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Aghavoe; the chapel is a large building, at Fox Rock. The parochial school is supported by subscription, aided by annual donations from Lord Lorton, and others; and at Fox Rock is a National school; in these schools are about 50 boys and 30 girls. At Grantstown and at Kilbredy are the ruins of old castles, and at the latter of an old church; and there are several raths, of which the principal, at Coolfin, is encompassed by a moat, with an octagonal building in the centre, out of which grows a large alder tree.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bordwell from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Queen's is available to browse.