Upton Helions, Devon
Upton Helions, a parish in Devonshire, 3 miles N of Crediton station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Crediton. Acreage,818; population, 113. The manor belonged anciently to the Helions, and belongs now to the Ferguson-Davie family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £150 with residence. The church is an ancient building, and was restored in 1870, and again in 1880.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Upton-Hellions St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upton Helions from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Upton-Hellions (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.