Blanchfieldstown or Blanchvilleskill, Kilkenny
BLANCHFIELDSTOWN, or BLANCHVILLESKILL, a parish, in the barony of GOWRAN, county of KILKENNY, and province of LEINSTER, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Gowran; containing 224 inhabitants. This small parish is situated near the mail coach road from Dublin to Cork, by way of Kilkenny, and comprises 660 statute acres: the land is good and is principally under tillage, and there is plenty of limestone. Blanchvillestown, situated in a very neat demesne containing some fine timber, is the property of Major-Gen. Sir J. Kearney, and is held on lease by the Rev. Theobald Butler. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ossory, and forms part of the union of Kilfane and corps of the archdeaconry; the rectory is appropriate to the vicars choral of Christchurch, Dublin. The tithes amount to £69. 10. per annum, of which £46. 6. 8. is payable to the vicars choral, and £23. 3. 4. to the archdeacon. In the R. C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Gowran. There are some remains of the old church at Blanchvilleskill.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blanchfieldstown or Blanchvilleskill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis (Blanchfieldstown or Blanchvilleskill)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Kilkenny is available to browse.