Upottery, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Otter, 5 miles NNE of Honiton station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Honiton; telegraph office, Yarcombe. Acreage of parish, 5898; population, 759. There is a parish council of nine members. The manor, with Upottery House and about two-thirds of the property, belongs to Viscount Sidmouth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £320 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is ancient, and has been well restored. There is a Baptist chapel. A cattle fair is held yearly, on the Tuesday before Lady Day.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Up-Ottery St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church of England
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upottery from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Up-Ottery (St. Mary))
Online maps of Upottery are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.