Uplyme, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, 4 miles SSE of Axminster station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Lyme; money order and telegraph office, Lyme. Acreage, 3584; population of the civil parish, 830; of the ecclesiastical, 756. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. The manor belonged to Glaston-bury Abbey, passed to the Drakes, and with Rhode Hill mansion belongs now to the Talbot family. A Roman bath, a tessellated pavement, and other Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £400 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and was thoroughly restored in 1876. There are Brethren and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Uplyme St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Axminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Uplyme from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Uplyme (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Online maps of Uplyme are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.