Ugborough, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 1½ mile SSW of Kingsbridge Road station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Ivybridge; money order and telegraph office, Ivybridge. The parish contains also five hamlets and part of Ivybridge. Acreage, 8955; population of the civil parish, 1443; of the ecclesiastical, 1224. There are many pleasant residences. The living is a vicarage, with Avonwick annexed, in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £180 with residence. The church is Later English, with an embattled western tower. There are Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist chapels and a reading-room. The Plymouth Borough Asylum for private and pauper patients is situated in this parish, and was opened in 1891; it is a structure of granite and red brick, with a chapel attached, and is adapted for 230 patients.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Totnes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ugborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ugborough)
Online maps of Ugborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cCheston
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.