UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ballyvalden, Wexford

Historical Description

BALLYVALDEN, a parish, in the barony of BALLAGHKEEN, county of WEXFORD, and province of LEINSTER, 12½ miles (S. by W.) from Gorey; containing 1379 inhabitants. It is situated near the eastern coast; and comprises 2338 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ferns, held with the impropriate curacies of Kilmuckridge and Millenagh; and in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Earl of Portsmouth. The tithes amount to £179. 7. 9., of which £112. 6. 2½. is payable to the impropriator, and £67. l. 6½. to the vicar. The church of the union is at Kilmuckridge. In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Blackwater. There are three hedge schools, in which about 170 children are educated.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1840 by Samuel Lewis

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ballyvalden from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Wexford is available to browse.