BALLYTRUSTIN, a parish, in the barony of ARDES, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 1 mile (S. E.) from Portaferry; containing 135 inhabitants. This parish, which is not noticed in the Down survey, is situated on the eastern coast; it comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, including detached portions, 1681¾ statute acres. The soil is fertile, and the lands are all in an excellent state of cultivation, producing abundant crops. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Down, and is part of the union of Ballyphilip and corps of the chancellorship of Down; the rectory is impropriate in John Echlin, Esq. The tithes amount to £190. 4. 2½. of which £117. 14. 5. is payable to the impropriator, and £72. 9. 9½. to the vicar. There are some remains of the ancient church, and the churchyard is the chief burial-place of the R. C. parishioners. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of each of the unions or districts of Lower and Upper Ardes. At Kerney is a school of 100 boys and 80 girls, aided by subscription and an annual donation of £8 from Dr. Blacker, on whose estate the schoolhouse was erected by a grant of £100 from the Lord Lieutenant's fund. At Ballyfounder is a very large rath, nearly perfect.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ballytrustin from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Down is available to browse.