UK Genealogy Archives logo

Cold Ash, Berkshire

Historical Description

Cold Ash, an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1865 out of the civil parish of Thatcham, Berks. It is 3 miles from Thatcham and 2 from Hermitage railway stations, and has a post office under Newbury; money order and telegraph offices, Thatcham and Hermitage. Population, 792. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Thatcham. The church was built in 1865. It consists of nave and chancel. At each end there are three stained glass windows. The sanctuary is embellished with handsome frescoes. There is an industrial school for girls belonging to the Church of England Society for providing homes for waifs and strays, with accommodation for 30 girls.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1865.


Churches

Church of England

St. Mark (parish church)

The church of St. Mark, erected in 1864, is a structure of brick, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: in the chancel is a memorial window to the Rev. W. M. Pickthall, a former vicar, and his daughter, erected by his widow and the parishioners: the reredos was erected in 1890 by the present vicar, to the memory of his father, and the chancel screen in 1892 to the memory of his two sisters: in 1889 two memorial windows were placed to the late W. P. Padmore esq. by his widow: in 1894 the chancel was adorned with fine mural paintings as a memorial to Mr. and Mrs. Padmore, at the cost of their daughter: and in 1897 a new organ was erected at a cost of £200: there are 225 sittings.

Baptist

Baptist Chapel

There is a Baptist chapel.

Methodist

Primitive Methodist Chapel

There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.


Civil Registration

Cold Ash was in Hungerford Registration District from 1894 to 1974


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Cold Ash are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.

CountyWest Berkshire
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtRG18
Post TownThatcham